Friday, March 21, 2014

Moving Forward in the Southern Hemisphere

Hey kids,

An initial draft entry for this blog was pushing 750 words, so I decided to scratch it all and start anew. Besides that discarded draft bing a reflection of sloppy writing, I realized it might also be an indicator that I should post more often, with shorter posts. I'll work on making these posts happen more often.

Much has happened in the almost two weeks since I've posted: I've explored some new areas of Santiago, registered for classes, done some (but not nearly all) of my class readings, and, I like to think, started to make some friendships here. I've also been enjoying the somewhat adventuresome task of figuring out what food to make for myself (hint: avocados tend to be a main ingredient). This weekend I'm moving to an apartment in downtown Santiago on Saturday and I'm hoping to maybe go rowing for the second time on Sunday and perhaps find time to search for a bike. I also have a short essay/reflection due in a week and a half on a novel I haven't read yet (Brazilian author, Spanish translation), so I think I should maybe crack open that book at some point too. No guarantees though.

Getting into the routine of academic life has been a bit of a process down here. The first problem I encountered revolved around course registration: we international students received a big blue book on the first day with class options, schedules, and classroom locations. I dutifully went through the book highlighting classes I wanted to go to, then trying to find the classrooms indicated in the book. The problem with this, of course, is that the schedules and classroom locations are often changed after the printing of the book, with an email to everyone who has electronically registered for the course letting them know the changes. Those emails never reach international students because we can't register online like Chilean students. The result, as you might imagine, is somewhat frustrating and confusing.

On the first day of class I had arrived early for my first scheduled class, tracked down the indicated classroom, and dutifully took a seat in the back. After jotting down notes as the professor explained the syllabus, it suddenly occurred to me that what I thought would be a history class really had no need for a linear algebra section in the syllabus. That realization that this wasn't in fact a history class was followed by a couple of minutes of steeling myself to walk out on the lecture (from the back of a 100+ person class). When the prof paused to open a classroom window I thought I should take my chance, only to be interrogated by the prof (who was more watchful than I'd have given him credit for) as to why I was leaving only fifteen minutes into class. I then explained to everyone, in somewhat broken/nervous Spanish, that I was an exchange student and had already taken the last math class in my life and had no interest in taking any others. At least I think that's what I said.

Needless to say, I quickly learned to check with my neighbors to ensure I was in the right class. And, as of last week, I am successfully registered in four classes here: Populism in Latin America (PoliSci), The City and the Novel in Latin America (Literature), Twentieth Century History of Latin America and Chile, and Nineteenth Century Themes of Latin America and Chile. So far I'm most excited about my populism and 20th century history classes; the readings for those classes (a combination of texts in Spanish and English) have been super interesting.

I feel like things are slowly moving forward down here. An exchange student who's been down here for a semester already described to me a phenomenon about figuring out Spanish language skills that I think is actually applicable to being an exchange student in general: There are good days and bad days. While at first they seem to alternate perfectly, with time, the space between the bad days grows to several days and then to weeks at a time. The bad days, when you miss friends and family at home, get frustrated with Chileans, or just feel crummy, don't ever entirely go away, but there will be fewer of them. Deep, I know. But what that really means is that while there are times here where I'm overwhelmed by the proposition of creating a new network of friends, making a different city home, and being away from my base of support, I'm also exhilarated by the opportunity this presents. I've got a list (in my head, at least) of Chilean and South American destinations I want to make it to, of new dishes I want to try to cook, and of skills I'd like to have by the time I leave. I'll be lucky to make it through half of them.

As always, thanks for reading. Check out some of these shots from the last couple weeks of wanderings.

I joined the university's bike advocacy group for a bike ride up an extinct volcano in Santiago. Cool view of the Andes east of the city and the smog that Santiago is blessed with. Photocred: VoyenCleta UC

 The boat storage area on Lago Aculeo where the rowers from Universidad de Chile row. They use a combination of vintage Argentinean- and new Chinese-made boats.
 After rowing, we had a barbecue at one of the rower's time-share houses overlooking the lake. Photo cred: Manuel Reyes
View from the patio looking down on Lago Aculeo at the Cordillera de la Costa (the shorter, westernmost mountains running down the length of Chile parallel to the Andes). Photo cred: Manuel Reyes

3 comments:

  1. Jimmy, I'm so jealous that you got to bike up to a volcano! Seriously, who gets to do that?! I can't imagine what it must be like - living on your own in Chile, and in Spanish no doubt... It must be so scary and yet so exhilerating! You're really going to perfect your Spanish beyond belief. I hope your avocado dishes go well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jimmy, can we get an update re: earthquake? I know it was about 300 miles North of you, just looking for reassurance that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern, aunty! The quake wasn't felt in Santiago. As I understand it there were fears of a tsunami on the coast, but I'm a good hour's drive inland, so even that isn't a threat. Otherwise, all is good down here. Look out for a new post soon!

      Delete